The phrase "Hawaiian plate lunch" is equally synonymous three word-phrase: "local kine grindz". In the below image I grabbed from a Google search you can see (from bottom right to bottom left clockwise) rice, kalua pig, poi, sweet taro, and pork lau lau. I ate there for lunch this past week with my grandparents and after eating, I literally just had to sit down for a good two minutes to rest it off. Most of my plate was fat. Even the kalua pig had fat on it but I didn't care. It's still healthier than Mickey D's. If I ate poi everyday my thighs would be as thick as tree trunks - I kid you not. To top it all off, upon ordering our meal the cashier offered us a chance to win a free trip to Vegas and on the way out I bought 1/2 a pound of lomi lomi salmon (not pictured here) for my folks

For any viewers, bask in the glory that is Young's Fish Market's Lau Lau plate lunch. My next meal of choice will probably be the squid luau winter break. In reference to the title of this post, this food is something you get to really hit the spot, as well as being something you don't get too often. However, this can backfire if you're on the mainland.
Then what?!
No comments:
Post a Comment