Thursday, August 4, 2011

2013 brainstorm

Though it's somewhat far off, the next publication of Bamboo Ridge will be in 2 years, which gives us (me) an ample amount of time to write a "local story"

Though some would think my writing(s) a misrepresentation of the local genre (let alone local literature), I think that it is credible because 1) he kama'aina au (grammar?), 2) I write as a new generation. If I were to mimic my parents' or grandparents' through their own past (and current) zeitgeists, the literature would still be entirely different. Melting pots encourage perspectives, but anyone can delineate between apples and oranges, which is to say that my writings are not necessarily the future but the local writings of my generation will take Hawaii forward. For better or for worse. It's true that writing about the mundane - yet provocative - reveal something almost sacred in its truth about the culture we live in. The more famed local writers love pushing the envelope. I like that. Kate Chopin did it. So can they. But do they do it to exemplify all the motions and emotions we go through in life? Yes. I have strong reason to believe that they wish to represent some unexplored, untouched, unclean, darkness that does not highlight our tragedy, but rather our humanity. I only wish to do the same. Carry that objective, use a different model, and put it to work.

I could use some 27s right now. Talking about zeitgeists does that, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment