Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Reaction to LOST: Just lose it

Blogger's Note: WARNING SPOILERS

A couple of my friends turned to me and asked me what happened at the end of this episode's LOST. Say it ain't so, but Sayid Jarrah is a candidate. He just killed two people named Dogen and Lennon, with an icy grin on his face afterwards. Is this symbolic? Yes. My only two qualm with the episode are that the Others at the temple did everything they could to aggravate Sayid into paranoia and that the Others lose this loyalist stance they had about the island.

Darkness comes. And so Sayid plunges into madness. In both timelines he can't escape the history of violence that forces his hand continuously. I wonder - what did Jacob have planned? And what does he have planned dead? The preview for next episode mentioned Ben's "demise," giving the implication that he will die (though I suppose it's more literal and less of an implication but whatever).

Edit 3/3 3:24pm
Oh yes, I almost forgot. The writing and directing were very much sub-par, if not dreadful. The flash sideways scenes did not do justice for Sayid, nor did his change to darkness seem to transition very well. The dialogue was utterly simplistic. It sounds like the Chinese to English translated material I have in Chinese class. A middle schooler could have wrote this episode, and better. After reflecting on 'Sundown' (cliche title!), I felt cheated, as a die-hard LOST fan. The martial arts fight in the beginning... I wonder if they wrote that in. They must have. Instead of Dogen letting Sayid go, it would have made more sense for Sayid to have knocked him out, then gone. Dogen's last words reflect the fact that since coming to the island, he has continued his dedicated specialist-like attitude toward his job in administering the Temple. Thus, he must remain emotionally uninvolved with his subordinates. And so, (I believe) knowing that he was going to meet his demise, told Sayid about his past, revealing his biggest vulnerability to his murderer. Or... what?

No comments:

Post a Comment