Monday, July 4, 2011
Wax Poetic 101
I honestly had my doubts when it came to finishing my portfolio for this English class, but I pulled through. To be honest, I didn't finish the fantasy story but got it up to 7 pages ("7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I need"). There's a certain kind of arrogance that comes with east coast conditioning and adopting east coast sensibilities. It's synonymous with elitism, I think. For instance, I had two Harvard professors, which I did not let down. Granted, one of them could have been a lot harsher. This is not to say that I did not take this summer class seriously. I was marginally less serious with it, exactly knowing the minimum workload needed to constitute a "final portfolio." However, I would like to think that writers often exceed expectations, whether it be in terms of quantity or quality. I earned something during the course of this... course (ha-ha). Practical knowledge. Knowledge about the audience. Writing for others requires that you get to know others and that you do not retreat to your inner cave like the J.D. Salinger that you are (sorry Mr. Salinger; R.I.P. as artists, we are still shooting for our own specific manifestation of literary perfection). That being said, I have no regrets. I feel re-energized. But it's 1:12am on the fourth of July. Fuck. Anyway, happy Fourth, folks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment