Sunday, October 18, 2009

Setting A Trend

About the beginning of 2008 I began wearing plaid. Currently, every clothing store in America has some form of plaid on their hangers. I have contributed to setting a trend. Granted, in high school I was certainly the farthest from setting trends. As far as "creativity" goes in my family, we basically just mix up clothes we get from department stores, with the occasional brand stores - Guess (which went bad for a year - 2008), Banana Republic, . My Mom is found of Diesel and some other 'modern' stores; she certainly outgrew the 70s and 80s. And then there's my dad who really doesn't care what he wears, lest it be school shirts which he will wholeheartedly wear. It's shoes, slippers (that can take a beating from the ocean), and sunglasses where he will be the connoisseur, not to mention occasional jewelry. I've inherited both styles, inadvertently. But this is not the same time I've worn something that would go into style later.

Aviators are prime example. I wore them before the Ray Ban fad went into full volume. Regrettably, I would have liked to have began with Wayfarers before they 'went back into style.' After spotting some 'authentic' ones in Shanghai priced at a $300-$400 range. Thankfully, the Honolulu Chinatown Marketplace kiosks offer $5-$10 shades which don't break down easily. They give UV-Protection and offer nice anti-glare power when driving. Tip of the hat to Ray Ban has done well leading the two trends.

Anyway, you'll never hear me talk about fashion until another 20 years from now

No comments:

Post a Comment