Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Back to college, work and related things part 2

Sometimes I feel I "naturally" overdo the being a Hawaii person, meaning, I'm nice to people indiscriminately (jeez, I had to look up the spelling for that one, fail as a writer), which actually has more pros than cons, or so we believe. And it now puts my mind in subconscious shock that I'm back to a plays where its normal to booze, to smoke, to spit, to insult, to walk into trash cans stoned, smash glass windows, laugh when its not considered appropriate, and be as self-righteous as a middle-finger flipping 16-year old. A lot of the above descriptions that match such people actually account for most persons on this campus, let alone all campuses. And a lot of those people are nice, sometimes even nicer/more amusing when intoxicated with the variety of over-listed brands of alcohol (varying from person to person). T.I.A. : this - is - America.

Point being, I can't expect people to be that nice anymore. Generosity will be exchanged with apprehensive curiosity. Sharing culture will be exchanged with apathy, although perhaps not always. And random acts of kindness will get you hurt. I didn't expect my second time back to be like Maui but I think the writer's of the Enlightenment era would have thought the same, being the tree-huggers that they were. Kind of makes me not want to diss Whitman.

The other side to it is that it's nice to be back and wake up to the real world and see that progress is needed. That way a few of us can't afford to be lazy.

Kudos to Tulio for being a follower (sorry Tules, I'm not Jesus but I'll try to have a cooler beard for a while), which brings the Japanese tutor position to mind. It's a slap across the face to my previous Chinese teacher, especially since I emailed her for an application. Damn it feels good to be ironic to the fickle

Monfils put up a nice game, with not. Respect

No comments:

Post a Comment