Sunday, September 27, 2009

Same Names

In my senior year of high school, I was in a class with two other kids who had the same name as me. Since it was a language class, we were given unique names to distinguish one another within the class but it sure made me feel good to be 'the real Slim Shady', or at least, the most senior of them.

This has me thinking of the troubles that can afflict the more famous and talented of people, when presented with this same, fickle dilemma.

I think of Jon Favreau. One Jon Favreau is the speech writer for our current president. The other Jon Favreau is famously known for directing Iron Man, an amazing film that I recall Rolling Stones' Peter Travers saying, "gave Iron Man a soul." (much credit to Robert Downey Jr, especially) Cripes, I thought they were the same person. After all, Iron Man was released in theaters in early May 2008. I had never heard of another Jon Favreau before. Let's not forget that Jon Favreau, the director, is a screenwriter. Having read up on Harvard grad/Obama speechwriter Jon Favreau, it is speculated that he may be a screenwriter after finishing the business of his current tenure. Ultimately, the two probably just chuckle to themselves the exact similarity of names and offer their silent admiration for each other. But the two are in such different worlds! After google searching "Jon Favreau", the speech writer came up first, which makes sense.

Next, I think of Paul Thomas Anderson vs. Paul W.S. Anderson. They are both directors. The first directed the critically acclaimed There Will Be Blood, starring Daniel Day Lewis. The latter is most famous for his Resident Evil movies. Would it be confusing for director Paul Thomas Anderson to be dining in a restaurant with his family with a random fan of the latter going up to him wearing a zombie mask and growling in a disgruntled manner? (check please)

So what's the point? It is confusing but all it takes is getting past the grey by doing your homework. And besides, China must be a total mess because a hundredthousand-thousand people have the same name, in sets of a hundred-thousand

Anyway, so ends my Sunday night rant of procrastination

No comments:

Post a Comment