Like a sniveling dog - its tail between its legs - I return home and to my previous office job (which was a good job, by the way). However, I feel a little embarrassed in applying. Deciding to stay at Cindy's and attempting to do volunteer work was supposed to be fulfilling void-filler (if not a meaningful alibi). To be fair, I had become disenchanted with the business world, but when did I ever not do something I didn't really want to do anyway? That being said, I'm curious as to how they will interpret my unannounced - as most of them are - application submission. Like a grandparents, will they benignly smile upon my return, or will they think something else? Will they bring me into their fold? I don't think they consciously wish to mold me. I think that they respect - Ivy league educations, banking dynasty, and all - the journey of the individual and its importance. Raise the bar all you want, world. Raise it high. I won't let Chinatown chain me down.
I need a moment and another world to just swallow me whole. Maybe then I won't feel like the prelude-to-stormy-weather fits my soul best
Recently, I've been instinctively writing in teleplay. Why? Well, I did read through one of Harold Pinter's books. He is quite good, if not my favorite of that kind of genre. I'll have more time to commiserate later, I think. I love and hate this time of year. It's full of warmth and goodbyes because we let them be goodbyes. And it's as if I don't even have the time for denial but look at me now.
--
Donald: Lovely day outside
Marianne is slowly packing up her things in silence
Donald: I may very well get some gardening done.
(cont'd) The conditions look rather good.
Marianne: Don't forget to take Donny to have his arm checked.
Donald: Why? He's practically-
Marianne: Donald.
Donald: What?
Marianne: You don't garden. Don't try. You know I can see through your words. You're trying so hard to make it better-
Donald: But I try! Don't I?
Marianne: I, I, aye, you try. You do. But you don't know. You can't know. Take Donny to the Dr.'s, OK?
Donald: Yes, Marianne.
Marianne: Will you need money?
Donald: No.
Marianne: Here
She holds out a few coins and Donald takes them.
Donald: Do you have enough?
Marianne: For once, I think I do. Goodbye Donald.
She puts her hand on his and gives it a squeeze.
Marianne: (cont'd) It was never your fault. There are things you would not, could not understand. Hopefully, this house will have me again someday, but until then.
Donald: Cheerio, dearest.
Marianne: Toodles, wasn't it?
Donald: Aye, that's your line, isn't it?
Marianne: I suppose. But you can borrow.
Donald: Steal.
Marianne: No. I have to go. Tell Donny his mother loves him again and again.
Donald: Toodles, dearest
Marianne: Cheerio, love
exeunt
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment