All the while mermaids sing to the morally and socially inept nouveau riche, he bides his time, tilling his plants on the windowsill. He does this as a means to sup the time, you see. For the man is enduring - no that's not the right word - many things. There is no end in sight. He cannot be distracted in mind. He thinks about it. The day he must leap up from his apartment and prove himself worthy. Of what, you ask? Why, the very thing he, you, and the world worry about, depriving us of one to two hours sleep a night. The mundane, long-term question. Do not say it! You will cause a scene if you say it here. Hush now, I know you care much about this man, but you mustn't bother. I think he will do much if he is left alone. I think he will do much.
Winston "Perkins."
"Perkins, come on." (cont'd)
Perkins "I can't do it."
Winston "What?"
Perkins "I can't do it, man."
Winston "Really."
Perkins "You've got to cover for me."
"Look. It won't be charity."
Perkins takes out his satchel and holds out a handful of bills
Winston "Unbelievable. You will do it, or I'll tell your wife exactly what we planned to transpire this night."
Perkins "Then it should do you wrong as well! Your wife shall know of this!"
Winston "I have already disclosed the matter to her."
"You see, we are partners in crime, Marianne and I. We make quite the partnership. No need for surprise, Perkins. You should know me to be one that marries for love."
Perkins "I never knew you to be one to value such a virtue. Look on the black deed we are about to commit."
Winston "No more a black deed than your glass-eyed routines at communion. And then your incessant drug use."
Perkins "The doctors say it's for the best!"
Winston "The doctors also say it's not for children. If the lads and lasses can't have it, then it must be something awful."
Winston puts his hands on Perkins shoulders and looks him in the eye.
Perkins "You don't understand. I'm.. I'm not trained in this line of work."
Winston "Well, the night you told me 'expect me to contribute my fair share of villainy', I made an assumption based on our good intent. This is for us."
Perkins "I reserve the right-"
Winston "You reserve the right to surrender. You reserve the right to be. You reserve the right to be a man."
Perkins "Or a fool. We shall be in trouble for this!"
Winston "I shall reward your efforts. 30 percent."
Perkins "I thought I was earning 40 percent."
Winston "And the matter of price? This hostility does not suit you. Where was it when I first saw you tonight? There is much need for your sentiments in this line of work."
Perkins "You're awful chipper tonight. 40 percent."
Winston "Done. Now get up on the roof and I'll take the front."
Perkins "Right."
Winston "Wait!"
Perkins "What?"
Winston "Do you remember my instructions?"
Perkins "You take me for a coward. Fine, but a fool?"
Winston "This is no simple task."
Perkins "I remain silent. We go through the kitchen and we take the front door out. Where you'll be."
Winston "Exactly. I shall give you the letter and the bottle."
Perkins "And he shall find it out in the open, won't he?"
Winston "Where?"
Perkins "Next to the coat hanger. On the desk where he stores his snuff."
Winston "You should have been been a detective."
Perkins "When he sees the bottle, I doubt the papers will be quiet."
Winston "That's the point. Marianne shall alert the authorities at dawn tomorrow. Come on."
Exeunt both
--
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment