Friday, February 26, 2010

Yes, Real Life (RL) is still harder than an RPG

Getting exp is a little easier than the days of yesterday. I imagine back in the Middle Ages where a farmer couldn't just walk up to a guild and ask, "may I please have a work application?" Granted, it's also easy because of the powers of the internet. However, there is a problem - people aren't kidding when they say that education is widening the buffer zone between the job market and the traditional lower class/middle class.

Past getting a bachelor's degree, a master's degree is definitely needed. What kind of phD researcher would pick an undergrad who simply refuses to acquiesce to the brain-sloshing toil of an additional year or two in college(I'm referring to the graduate program)? What of people who aren't entering the math/science streams? Isn't it harder for them to be able to receive grants, do case studies, the like? Yes. All this information here is literally subjective, in that I have no #'s, but I have to say that with tuition inflation is definitely hurting the middle class' pockets. With the difficulty of getting a job in times like these, all one can really do is gain exp through unconventional means. Say for instance, freelancing, volunteer work, learning/honing useful skills, and invest in the mind by learning, in general.

This isn't Final Fantasy where you walk around and have random "encounters." Well, actually, that does happen, but you probably won't get 500 gil, 3 potions, and a phoenix down after beating up someone who is trying to mug you. The fact of the matter is survival has become increasing complex, as I may have mentioned in a previous post or so. We no longer have to fret about starving or dying of illness, as long as we have money, a fresh line of credit, and health insurance (or - if you are Cronig or Kaiser in a non-capitalist dictatorship; nevermind, disregard that). The point I'm trying to make is that making individual progress is very different from a century ago, and in some ways, more difficult.

--

On an unrelated note, a "colleague" from screenwriting class complimented me on my writing. He said that it's his goal to be a comedian and that my abstract, drill-writing from class trumped his with comedy. In addition, he mentioned that he and the other students talked about my writing after class. For once in a long time, I feel flattered. A win. However, this confirms the notion that I would probably be happier getting my works out now and KNOWN to "the public eye." I tried writing today, but it wouldn't flow naturally. I write to my heart's content when in bouts. I catch the moment and go with it, but since I am now writing a book, I need to get back into the mode in which I was writing Surviving Outland. OR write poetry. Poetry is always fairly short. Vignettes too. I could be like Tobias Wolff, except the part where I become a teacher - at least early on. If I ever do, I hope I don't get out of touch with kids. As the days go by, Americans become even more ADD and tech-youtube-meme-humor crazy. Take them outside, chain them to the tree, and show them that real hippies don't need technology, only their hearts, unlike the characters from Avatar.

Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment